Wednesday, August 26, 2009

A New Age

Fictional MySpace Profiles - The Fun Way To Use Myspace

Tha King likes to consider himself a tech-savy person. He has an facebook, had a myspace even though I don't remember the password, AIM and the whole shabang. I was in high school when texting became all the rage, most of the communication in my relationships has been centered around text. I say all that to say Tha King is pretty much on the cusp of all the new shit. 

That being said, the whole idea of  E-dating, or I-Dating or whatever is insane to me. Not just the dating part, its the idea that you could possibly find out more about a person by viewing their twitter page than speaking to them. While I'm at work I have a habit of adding random people to my BBM contact list and just talking about whatever. So I added a few people yesterday; A dude from Maine who loved football so we yapped about Brett Farve's ole indecisive country ass, and a girl from Houston. Instead of the normal "hi" I receive from people when I add them she asks me if I've seen her web page. When I told her I hadn't she seemed to think it was odd that I added her without having been to her page to get to know her. Is Tha King mistaken or isn't the point of the conversation to get to know someone?

I wasn't really interested in knowing about her in the first place, I just felt like having a conversation. I guess that makes me old-fashioned, I was under the impression that you get to know someone through conversation, not viewing by their facebook page. That's not a true representation of a person, that's what the person wants you to see. I'm sure we all have something that isn't true on our page. Have we become so technological that we no long have the need for regular human contact, like speaking? Have any of you every dated, hooked up, whatever with someone you met online? Where they anything like the person you thought they would be?

Hotmail® is up to 70% faster. Now good news travels really fast. Try it now.

3 comments:

  1. Yes and no. Guys know how to be so kind and gentle and funny and all the good things emales want in a man over the phone or internet. But in person they could be crappy as hell (Mr. Mitchell). In female case i think the only thing men have to worry bout is looks since that is a major factor in the male kingdom. Plus i think ppl take time out of their day to pre set everything on ther page, away messages, ect. to avoid talkin about themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have personally never done anything with someone I met online but I have a friend who uses match.com regularly and has been on dates with guys she's met through the site. She hasn't met any winners yet but truthfully, I don't see anything wrong with it. There is still a stigma associated with online dating but I think it's becoming more accepted in our society. My thought process is: people go out in cities to bars and clubs and meet people there, how is that different from meeting someone online? Sure, the guy or girl could have posted their best photo online and in reality be butt ugly, but we don't know the history/personality of the guy at the bar more than we know the history/personality of the guy online. I hope that makes sense. I'm sick and on meds.

    My point is, when done safely and wisely, online dating is a good place for some because it gives them a starting point, helping with the transition into real dating and eventually a relationship.

    - Tausha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm gonna tell on myself a bit. I've dated guys I've met online. I've met some good ones and some horrible ones. Most I don't meet in person just talk to like you King. For the ones that were good. The way they presented themselves is the way they were in person. For the bad ones the way they presented themselves online was totally different from when you met them. But I have to say that even when you have a conversation, (I always talk to them on the phone before I meet them) or meet someone on the street or in the store or whatever, like Tausha said they can still represent themselves falsely. So I don't think it really matters.

    ReplyDelete