Tuesday, April 28, 2009

What's In A Name?

Tha King didn't feel like talking about this last week when it happened but its a new day and I'm honestly not bothered by it any more. So I'm at work last week and its a typical day. Around 2pm an older man walks in. If I had to guess I would say mid to late 60's. Its quite obvious that he's not all there but was am polite nonetheless. To make along story short the Old man called me a nigger. Yes nigg-er. It didn't even register in my head at 1st but when it hit tha King I had to summon all my will power in order to control myself from hitting this crazy old bastard with the stone cold stunner.
After composing myself enough to finish dealing with the old nut job Tha King sat down and reflected on the days events and the n-word in general. For years other races have used this word to belittle Blacks. Even though we've tried our best to embrace the word as a term of endearment in an attempt to change its negative connotation it still stings when used as a racial slur. Tha King believes that we as black are the ones empowering the negative use of the word by allowing ourselves to become enraged by it. If a white person was to walk up to you and yell "NIGGER!!" and you smiled and said "thank you." they would be pissed off because they couldn't get the reaction that they wanted by using the word. "Nigger" is only as powerful as "niggas" make it. Agree? Of course you do.

2 comments:

  1. That is something that can only happen in theory. In reality, there is too much historical connotation to the word "nigger" to take away it's power. But that's why I disagree with both the use of the word "nigger" and "nigga." It's hard to forget something that was used to bring black people down for ages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To Anonymous: I've seen it happen in practice many a time. Its not a complete solution to the use of the word but I think it will stop the use of it by people who aren't racist per se but are just looking to piss a black person off.Those people that have been using it for ages will continue to use it but as in story I told in the blog, most of these people are old and are the last of dying breed. True Equality is possible and highly obtainable but the 1st people that have to believe in it is us.

    ReplyDelete