Thursday, April 23, 2009

Popeye the drug dealer.


At least that what people make it seem he is. Unless you were living under a rock I'm sure you heard about Popeye's chicken offering 8 pieces of chicken for "fo Ninny nine" for one day only yesterday. Don't front like you didn't know. So I'm on my way home from work and I decide to take the route home that passes by Popeye's. I figure I'm broke, and I like chicken so its a win-win situation right? Wrong. So I'm bopping down the street filled with glee at the thought of an extra crispy breast and as soon as I turn the corner onto the block Popeye's is on....BAM! The line is out the door and to the end of the block. I walk down to the entrance of the Popeye's thinking to myself all these damn people can't be on line waiting for some chicken buy to my horror they were. A line damn near 100 deep full of Blacks and Hispanics on line for fried chicken. This was quite possibly the 1st time I was had ashamed to be affiliated with the black community. Are times really that hard that every Popeye's from Manhattan to Malibu was packed to capacity with brown skinded chicken lovers? To make matters worse not only were you on line for fried chicken, you had the nerve to be complaining about the other people online. "Why yall mutha fu*kas couldn't go home and cook?" You on the line too fool?! All we needed was a watermelon stand and a pitcher of grape kool-aid and we got ourselves and old fashion coon shindig

Not that it was any surprise to me, but black people love them some fried chicken. The stereotype is sad but true. Then I got to thinking, there are a lot of stereotypes that are true and although the word "stereotype'' has a negative connotation we all use stereotypes to our advantage. I often use the violent black man act to get what I want. Am I going to hit you if you don't give me an extra BBQ sauce for free? Of course not, do they know that? No. As that Spanish chick and you class really going to sleep with you just cause you drove her home? No, but you drove her didn't you? What other stereotypes do you use to you advantage?

I didn't get any chicken that day. Instead I went home and made a Philly cheese steak.

2 comments:

  1. That's some bullshit!!!! I was reading about that shit on facebook. Negros and I do mean the Hispanics as well bcuz we are all Negros. That's a damn shame. It's not that hard to make some damn fried chicken, I mean shit even if you don't want to make it then ask your damn mama or grandmother. Damn People!!! That's embarrassing! Do yall know how the white people are looking at us??? They probably really think we some DAMN animals. SMH I'm done with this shit! I'm out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off let me start my comment off with a quick lol. After reading your post I felt like I was there watching this happen and I got a good laugh out of it.

    The bottom line though is it was a one day offer so people didn't want to miss their opportunity. When businesses stamp a one time offer onto anything they get a larger amount of customers.

    I guess Black people and Hispanics were the only ones hungry for chicken yesterday. Personally I wouldn't stand in a long line to buy fried chicken or any other type of food but some folks can't resist a good deal or a good meal.

    I've seen black people stand in long lines for many things that they didn't need but wanted like name brand shoes, Games, new cell phones and now a one day chicken deal.

    lol not to take your comment literally but I don't live under a rock however I honestly had no idea about Popeye's chicken deal probably because I don't eat Popeye's chicken or much fast food.

    I don't see why anyone would be embarrassed by a long line of black people waiting to buy chicken or concerned with how white people may view the situation.I understand that this may perpetuate the stereotype of black people loving chicken, but so what there are far worst stereotypes than that one. Now if the situation was a little different like a liquor store had a buy 2 forty-ounces get one free and I saw a long line of black people wrapped all the way around the corner that would be a sad picture.

    If they feel fried chicken is worth standing in line for it, more power to them. I just hope they were just as motivated and had the same attitude when it was time to vote for the president or apply for jobs and there were long line.

    I'm going to have to think on what stereotypes I use to my advantage.

    ReplyDelete