Wednesday, March 18, 2009

U-N-I-T-Y

"Ya gotta let him know!"
I was on the bus last night on my way home from class and I had a epiphany; Black people are the most un-unified race in the world. While our Hispanic, Asian and White brothas seem to adopt the "Us against the world "attitude, Black people have taken on a " I don't give a f*%*k about another ni$$a attitude. I'm gonna do me. As I looked around at the passengers on the bus, all of whom were black ;I saw some of the most miserable people in the world. Shouldn't we be just a little excited about being on a bus full of our people? They all looked like they couldn't stand being around this many black people in such a small space. You'd think we were on a ship in the middle passage or something. If you don't know what the middle passage is, slam your head against the nearest hard object repeatedly. I'm serious. Do it.

Why do we act like this? We share the same stories We all have the same struggle.What we need to be doing is be uplifting people and making them feel good instead for bringing each other down. A young woman should not have to clutch her purse when a group of guys walk by. My suggestion to my people? Help each other out! Guys; give up those seats on the bus to the older people and the ladies. Women, don't be afraid to compliment a guy when you think he looks good. Guys, help a woman whom you don't have intentions of sleeping with.Old heads, tell the young dudes about how cool Big Daddy Kane was, or how Adrian Dantley was a beast on the court. Do something people! We're all in this together. Its about time we act like it. Who knows how far we'll get.

"You ain't a b#t*h or a hoe"

PS: Since I was threatened with certain death if I didn't, I gotta shout out my wife J Dub. Who loves ya babe?

4 comments:

  1. The degree of it depends on where you live, but in general this is true.

    I think it comes from Africans Americans having fewer opportunities. When blacks are given positions of power, they are often competing with other African Americans for this position. This leads us to further separate us in school, love, community etc.

    However, why should one feel a sense of community based on race, etc? Maybe the communities align themselves on other factors rather than race. I don’t know, I think this notion of ‘race’ troubles me a bit. It’s based on something we have no control over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SERIOUSLY do you think with slavery and and it's aftermath (institutional slavery), we can we ever unify? We would have to de-program what has been conditioned in our mind for hundreds of years. The deprogramming must be done in two ways first it is the self-hate, the divide and conquer, the crabs in a barrel mentality - the one black person is better than the other because of X. Then we would have to deprogram the violence we have experienced - the violence our ancestors witnessed and in one form or another passed it down the generations - the rapes, the lynches, the beatings, the brutal killings....

    Can we unify - YES... Will we unify - depends. When will we unify - I think the time is soon approaching but Rome was not built in one day. The UNIFICATION is coming just make sure you do your part....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lmao...shout outz.. AnyWay... I agree completely with Ms. Lorianne....... Institutional slavery is a motherFUCKER! mY Love niggas ain't smiling half the time b/c there ain't shit to smile about. The fares are going up...times are getting even harder.... people who are at retirement age cannot even think to retire! And the light at the end of the tunnel is dim. But I am hopeful that things will change and African American people will stop being so accepting of other races and more open and kind to their own. There needs to be a general foundation though, that comes from informing the masses....like u are Shawny lls

    ReplyDelete
  4. Re: U N I T dang gone Y!

    Dear Mr. Tha King:

    I just wanted to remind/inform you that Black people have been enslaved for longer than they haven't. Therefore, they need a little more time to snap out of that entire "slave" mode of thinking. As you know, when they were enslaved, in order to survive they were faced with the choice that no human being should be faced with i.e. turn on your family. Your brother, sister, wife, husband, and sometimes child. Black people were turned into selfish people and have cultivated that trait as opposed to trying to relinquish it. We need young intelligent up and coming brothers and sisters like yourself to recognize and put us on the right track. I think your generation may be the one to restart our unification, which we had started in the 60's. The fact that you are so aware of the problems with your people is the first step in the repair. We need repair because you know we are broken, right?

    Kindest Regards,
    Auntie aka Black Betty

    ReplyDelete