Tuesday, March 24, 2009

I Love You Man,

Been a few days since my last post. I tend to get a little lazy on the weekends. Well I'm back, this time with a question that stems from a story one of my best friends told me the other day. Walking around the Penn State campus last week my boy, DJ Cyn(he's single ladies) came across a particularly well dressed student. A well dressed, male, student. My boy, being the outgoing dude that he is, compliments the dude on his attire and gives him what I affectionately have dubbed; "The Bro Nod." Its consists of a slight movement of the head up or down to acknowledge another brother in the vicinity for whatever reason you see fit.The response my boy got from the guy was rather surprising to him. The guy eyed my boy with a hateful leer and a roll of the eyes. Similar to one a straight guy would give a homosexual male he suspects is hitting on him. If it wasn't clear by my advertisement to the ladies of my friend's availability let me state it for the record, my boy is 100% straight. So why would he receive such a hostile response when he was just trying to show the man some love?

Could it be that the male sex, myself included, has become so ridiculously homophobic that we can't even take a compliment from another dude? Are we that insecure about our sexuality? Are we justified for being this way given the rise in "undercover brothers" and "homo-thugs" in recent years? The problem gets worse when it comes to black men. In our never ending quest to prove how tough we our we find ourselves ridiculing the next man of the smallest hygienic activity. I can remember being extremely nervous about my boys ever finding out that I got manicures as a kid. Micheal Jordan gets manicures, Charles Barkley gets a mani and a pedi every week, Steve Harvey as well. Do we question there sexuality as well? To be honest, I see a lot of dudes in dire need of a trip to the nail salon, not that I'm looking at dude's hands or anything- there I go with the homophobic shit again.

My message to my dudes out there, who probably aren't even reading this cause reading another dude's blog is "gay," BE YOURSELF. If you know your not gay then chill out. Don't let anybody tell you otherwise because your jeans aren't baggy or hanging off your ass. Has it ever occurred to you that the tough guys with the jeans hanging off there ass could just be giving that special someone easy access to said ass? Something to think about.

4 comments:

  1. I don't know how I got this I wanted a different name but forget it! Anywho you should make sure you let the younger brothers i.e. Ev, Josh, Johnny, Jarel, and Mark (josh's cousin)read your blog. They are up and coming homophobes! Look now a days gay is the new straight. It's hip, it's fashionable, it's happening and brothers are afraid they are going to get sucked in (pardon my analogy). They need to get over it and start worrying about more important things like how can they insure that there will be money left in social security when it's their time because it's practically empty now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was kid I thought black men being gay was a myth because it was unheard of well more like the unspoken secret. The feminine man in the choir was just that feminine man in the choir. It wasn't until I found out that I had a gay uncle that I met and knew a openly gay black man. Society placed a label on black man and most try hard to represent that. Black men are suppose to be tough almost scary. For a long time black men and women only thought the stereotypical feminine acting man was gay. If you were tough played ball had a lot of women around you no one ever questioned it. The whole Down Low thing became a hot topic and started destroying stereotypes left and right and shed a light on what's been hidden in the dark. For a very long time in the black community discussing gay black men was a taboo topic. Those old ways of thinking are not easily broken so a lot of black men are homophobic. I shake my head every time I hear a black man give another black man a compliment and then quickly say "No homo" to insure the other person that it wasn't anything but a compliment not some gay stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What if that nicely dressed guy was gay and he thought your friend was trying to be funny? He may have taken the head not as an insult.

    ReplyDelete