Tuesday, March 17, 2009

But you gotta have friends

I been doing a lot of thinking this year what it means to be a friend. Often time it seems like people are quick to bestow the title of friend upon co-workers, schoolmates and acquaintances. These relationships do not constitute friendship. That's not to say that you can't be friends with a co-worker or classmate. The title of a friend comes with certain responsibilities that you must be willing to accept and should be confident that your friend accepts them as well. A friend is someone who is willing to inconvenience themselves in order to help you out. Just because your co-worker gave you a ride home from the job because your house was on his route home does not mean he's your friend. Here are signs that the "friend" you have may not be one after all.
  1. They ask for gas money every time you get in their car: Friends don't ask. They wait for you to offer, and if your a friend you'll offer.
  2. You've don't know where they live: You either don't care to know they don't want you to know, either way, not a friend.
  3. You keep secrets from them: We all keep secrets, but I'm talking about things you would tell people the second or third time talking to them. If your home girl doesn't know you used to be man then shes not you friend, or rather your not hers.
  4. They let you look stupid in public : You know damn well they saw that hole in the back of your pants. They didn't tell because they aren't your friend. They are probably laughing you right now.
  5. They are Jealous of something I you have:Friends don't get jealous of their friends, simple.

How else can you tell your friends are really friends?

4 comments:

  1. The dictionary definition of a friend is one who gives assistance,support,care, etc. Who's to say that a co worker or a classmate isn't your friend, when it's in those main places society makes friends. So what if someone lacks in one or two qualities that makes up a friend that doesn't necessarily mean he or she isn't a friend simply their just not a good friend. I'm sure you have done one or two thing things on your list and you are still consider a friend to whom ever you have done it to. I have friends that I don't know where they live or they don't know where I live but we still hang out. Are they not my "friends"?? Everyone out there at some point becomes jealous of someone friend or foe, jealousy is just a natural reaction we can't nor do we turn it on or off because someones a friend. My point is this a friend is anyone you will consider talking to more then once. Your list comes in handy when people are weeding out who of their acquaintances is their true friend, best friend or enemy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like this post came at a good time because I am currently considering if I have any "real" friends in my life. According to your list I've only ever had one and he's not in my life at the moment (you know who that is).

    I think it definitely gets harder to acquire friends once you've reached a certain age. The qualities you listed just aren't exhibited in someone you met in the last five years or so (college years). With that said, I think your list applies to the type of friend you've grown up with for years. Maybe the friends I have now will be the type of real friend you're describing in a few years. Who knows.

    Thank God for family =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Preach preach Preach!!!!! Some people don't know the difference. And if they do they find out when that so called friend tells u they are jealous of you or envy you. Damn shame right. I know my friends and your one of them. I found that out leading up to v-day. So I thank you Mr. King. And Mrs. King too! Love yall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haaaa!! yeh I'm usually the person calling everyone my friend and I talk about them behind their backs.. But hey... sometimes u gotta call someone friend to get what u need. Right....wrong?? :-/

    ReplyDelete