Friday, May 15, 2009

Home of the brave.

I was walking down 7th ave this morning and I observed something that moved me enough to write about it. A soldier who was obviously just returning from active duty or just about to depart. He was dressed head to toe in khaki camo gear and boots. As he walked by an office building a doorman simply raised his hand, saluted the solider and said "thank you" The solider, who was slightly surprised, returned the gesture and nodded his head. While this may seem like a random occurrence it touched me because I've aways want to go up to a solider myself. I'm very proud of all the military friends and family that I have. I even consider joining myself and a Chile. While I don't respect the war or wars in general, I think that soldiers should praised by everyone of us who chose not to or were not able to serve. While we read about the war and have our varied opinions on it, in a sense it still isn't really a reality yet. To them it is. soldiers live and the lives of their families have been affected more than anyone of us will ever know. You can argue that they chose to join but you can never fully comprehend all that war entails when your at that recruitment office. They gave their lives so that we can go on with our way of living and feel safe. So the next you see a military persons stop and say think you. It the least we could do for people who have done more for us than will ever know.

1 comment: